Joe Pilates wanted us to limber and stretch our muscles and spines to becomes as supple as a cat.
Core strength and stretching is essential in this day and age and Pilates is an ideal form to create this in the body.
Feel the quality of the movement of length and control, grace and flexibility as you move through your stretches.
Here are 10 reasons why we should stretch:
- Stretching improves your performance as joints and muscles are taken through a range of movements enabling your muscles to work more effectively
- Stretching increases blood flow to the muscles rejuvenating them and keeping them nourished
- Stretching prevents injury – muscles are more likely to tear or snap when not stretched before explosive energy bursts. The most effective way to stretch is dynamically, so moving through the stretch rather than holding. This is why I love the Reformer and Caddie for stretching. The equipment supports you through a range of movement. Remember not to bounce when you are stretching, sometimes this can tighten muscles up! In Pilates when doing an exercises such as the scissors slow down the second pulse and reach further into the stretch rather than bouncing into it
- Stretching improves flexibility in the muscles, and therefore the range of movement in the joints
- Stretching is relaxing, we all get tight muscles when stressed, stretching out these tight muscles helps both the mind and the body to relax!
- Stretching restores balance to tight muscles helping to promote ease of movement
- Stretching keeps you young, as we age muscles become tighter and joints more stiff. Stretching, (especially focusing on an eccentric muscle phase of lengthening under tension) will create more collagen within the muscles, creating a more youthful muscle structure
- Stretching will promote better posture as tight muscles at the back of the neck, the front of the chest and lower back or hamstrings are stretched for optimal muscle balance
- Stretching enhances feelings of wellbeing
- Stretching increases energy levels
Times when not to stretch? During pregnancy and post natal avoid stretching the muscles around the pelvic girdle due to the affects of relaxin, which makes the ligaments more vulnerable to being overstretched.
Taube Pilates infuses new developments in sports medicine into Pilates with unique choreography.
So enjoy taking the time to stretch your body.
Make a commitment to become more flexible.
Increase your perfection of performing the Pilates exercises through stretching and lengthening through each move. This will bring your Pilates training and execution to a new level.